Thursday, February 28, 2013

Do You Not Believe I am in the Father...


Burger King Christians.  Hmmm.  I've always thought of it in terms of Frank Sinatra's "I'll do it my way."  Can I have God my way?  No.  Do I try?  Yes.  Are churches built, at some level, around the idea that we manage God?  Yes.  Does God laugh?  I hope so.
There has been a radical shift in our culture of faith over the last fifty years.  I often think of it in terms of choice.  Whereas our culture once prized dedication, hard work, discipline, and submission to authority/family/God, we now prize our right to choice:  I don't have to spend my time in worship, prayer, God's Word, a faith community, or even with my family...I have other things to do.  We are an entitled culture riddled with too many choices in my opinion.  
I am liberated in my walk of faith by the realization that I don't have to have it my way.  I have let go of the details of ultimate concern.  I don't need hymns my way, church my way, or people to behave my way.  On a good day, I am merely focused on being a follower of The Way.  There is more of a sense of freedom in this earliest designation of Christians.  And, in such simplicity I find freedom in faith and belief.
Freedom springs from my heart rather than my head.  I am quite content to intellectualize relationships and even God.  But, when I let go, I can glimpse the promise of true hope as the eyes of my heart find enlightenment.  Such a conversion, a letting go, is not easy for this introvert geared toward thinking.  In more authentic moments I am reminded of this simplicity:  be still and know that I am God.   
While we often recoil at the idea of "cafeteria, pick and choose Christians" we all do it to some extent.  In order to define who we are, we hone our interpretation of our world and our community.  We define who we are as much as who we are not.  Does this mean God will bend to our will?  Certainly not.  Do we sometimes behave as if?  Yes, sadly.  Does the power of greatness lie within me?  No.  Does it lie in my letting go, my accepting what is, right here and right now?  Yes, so it seems.  For me, the hope to which God has called lies in simplicity rather than complexity.  When I can remember this heart revelation, life does seem to flow smoother, but not necessarily easier.

3 comments:

  1. 'Freedom springs from my heart rather than my head. I am quite content to intellectualize relationships and even God. But, when I let go, I can glimpse the promise of true hope as the eyes of my heart find enlightenment. Such a conversion, a letting go, is not easy for this introvert geared toward thinking. In more authentic moments I am reminded of this simplicity: be still and know that I am God.'

    I agree. Ultimately, there is much power in silence, or to kindle oneself with that which is. Very liberating. Especially when we see the counterfeit gods and antichrists enticing us and soliciting us day and night to bind with them within their beast system. There is a lot of clutter out there, but it is just chatter especially in the context of the greater glory of God.

    I was listening to a radio program today where they were discussing the rising technocratic elite who are seeking to build up this technocracy. Then i recall how our civil liberties and private lives within our society today are being infringed against with no regard to due process. The system now looks an awful lot like Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon.

    During the radio discussion the hosts were distraught and began to bring up the weighty matters of eschcatology. They contend that this is the big one and the end is near.

    I don't agree. I believe that we; who know and believe that Jesus is in the Father and that he is within in us, know better and must not turn away and submit to temptation when it knocks on the door. I believe a fair amount of eschcatological matters rely on we; who have ears to hear and eyes to see, to not turn away from the father but rather should stand firm and make a wise and unequivocal stand within our churches and communities. (It doesn't take much, all one has to say is no.)

    That all being said, I too share in your hope, in spite of deceptive light bearing angels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why the hyperlink showed up there. Very ironic! lol.

      Delete
  2. I've been committed to coming here and reading the questions since day one.

    I have to say that I've had some epiphanies over the course of this lent. Profound and perhaps even dangerous thoughts. Dangerous in the sense that, I'm beginning to understand that it is polite to ask permission to go into certain dimensions of thought when in dialogue with others. We are multidimensional beings. Able to conceive of many different thoughts and ideas. The questions Jesus asks reach the full spectrum of our consciousness... and more? As he said, we speak what we know and testify of what we have seen.

    I enjoy this wilderness. It is peaceful.

    ReplyDelete