Tuesday, February 26, 2013

How much longer must I put up with you?

Gee, this really seems a tough comment from Jesus.  Tis nice to know that Jesus also felt great frustration, disappointment, and as if he were talking to people who refused to listen; not that I would know anything about that as a mother to an occasionally sassy seven year old!
At the base of Jesus' frustration I see the desire to unleash empowerment, to startle folks out of mediocrity.  How often do we settle with "getting by" or doing only what is necessary?  How often do we desire to lower the bar so we can step over it instead of lifting it?  Where have I settled for mediocrity in my personal and communal faith life?
Does our faith call us to greatness?  Can we indeed heal and move mountains?  What holds us back from even engaging the thought?  As many have pointed out, we often live in a mindset of scarcity.  We live as if we don't have enough which causes us to live in fear and shame.  We see this in the disciples time and again and Jesus constantly shakes them out of this mentality:  how many loaves do you have?
Jesus says that even faith the size of a mustard seed, the smallest of seeds, can move mountains.  How often do I behave as if my mustard seed is not good enough, not big enough, not shaped like everyone else's?  How often do I wish to have more?  How often do I fail to realize that faith is not something I can make happen, but something given to me in the contours of life?  How do I fail to realize my empowerment, fail to accomplish something because I am convinced that I can't?
I have learned many spiritual lessons in striving to be an active person, specifically in running.  I am not a natural born runner.  I could not run or jog a mile in high school.  I am knock-kneed and awkward.  But, I find freedom in moving, liberation in connecting with nature.  This has been an empowering challenge for me and I need challenges.  If I can train, work hard, and run 26.2 miles (albeit slowly) what can I do in my faith life or in my faith community that is of marathon proportions?  How might I share that sense of accomplishment and liberation with others, emotionally, spiritually, or theologically?
At the end of the day, I do believe it all boils down to love.  If I can step outside of myself long enough to listen, to accept, and to honor what is in another person, a mustard seed of love is planted, nourished, and it grows.  It may never conform to my expectations, it may fly away, it may be given away, or it may whither without care.  But, it is given, in the moment, freely, and that is true empowerment in my corner of the world. How might I live in this sense of simple abundance more constantly, more faithfully?  This is part of my balance challenge for Lent.  I pray to hone this simple truth and to be content with the empowerment that springs from this place.

4 comments:

  1. One thing I have learned throughout my life is that If you don't believe that you can accomplish something you are most likely right. If we don't have faith in ourselves we are defeated before we begin. How much more important is faith in God? God has given us the power to move mountains, if we only have faith. That said, faith does not come easily, neither faith in ourselves nor faith in God. It takes a lifetime of experience to develop faith in ourselves. What does it take to develop faith in God, even faith the size of a mustard seed? Be still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find today's Transformative Thought especially motivating. I am only one; I cannot do everything, but I can and will do something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. Ultimately I realize that in order to get things done I must decrease so that the spirit may increase. How much longer must I put up with you?

    I can say with certainty that a moral man or woman who is steadfast and upright, walking with integrity even when no one is looking will always destroy evil works, strife, et al; and then the rebuilding may begin a new. Also, one does not have to be a recognized leader to accomplish this, or engage in cult of personality b.s. This is a mystery, but over the years I have recognized providence. I believe MLK said that 'the universe tends towards justice.'

    I recall the beatitudes and I consciously choose to align myself with nature. I also recall the Unprofitable Servant. This is all an illusion. The sooner I realized this the sooner things became easy right were I was and am. The hard thing is the waiting.

    Which reminds me:

    'And for this reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

    And to knowledge self control; and to self control patience; and to patience godliness;And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness love.

    For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that you shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

    But he that lacks these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.'

    The old sins; Is our faith strong enough to remind us we have been purged from our old sins? Time waits for no one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say this is all an illusion, I am speaking of worldly concerns.

      Delete