Friday, February 15, 2013

WHAT can you GIVE in return for your LIFE?

I'm not sure how to answer this question.  Of course, at first glance, I can give nothing for a life that is gift in the first place.  But, I struggle to embody life as gift.  So, my next thought is that I can give myself, poured out in service to others.  In that, I can find meaning and significance.  But, there is the ongoing existential struggle between living in giftedness/significance and mere survival.
I have always been drawn to Thoreau's thoughts on this matter.  My experience is that most people do indeed live lives of quiet desperation.  It is cloaked for most as the pursuit of success.  As Bob Moorehead wisely tells: We’ve learned how to make a living, but not a life. We’ve added years to life not life to years. We’ve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We’ve done larger things, but not better things. We’ve cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We’ve conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We’ve learned to rush, but not to wait.
 If I oscillate between survival and significance, what must I give up to live fully into a life of significance?  For me the answer lies in giving up people pleasing (and a false sense of success) to be true to self and God.  I find this increasingly difficult in a culture that has abandoned character in favor of personality.  As I started reading on yesterday the book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a Word that Can't Stop Talking, the author describes: "In the culture of character, the ideal self was serious, disciplined, and honorable.  What counted was not so much the impression one made in public as how one behaved in private."  

This rings true to me. In the current culture of personality, the characteristics that are valued are the "personas" we can create/forge/fake based on newly prescribed ideals: magnetism/gregariousness, outward appearance, and popularity.  For those drawn to the inner life this becomes problematic and leads to despairing.  As someone told me recently, "you belong to another era" because I do indeed crave a return to a culture of character rather than personality.
If I base my significance in the belief that God has knit me for a particular vocation in this life, then it is easier to pursue that calling with honesty and disciplined virtue and to forget about personality or popularity.  The irony is that such a dedication requires ultimately that I transcend myself, lose myself, and become free in an identity that is not wholly mine.  I do believe that desperation can be sidestepped in this emptying, what scripture calls kenosis.
As an introvert, my dreams generally center upon getting away from so-called civilization and living much like Thoreau.  I joke with friends and family about my tiny house dream:
The challenge, aside from running away to a remote location to find God in nature, is how I find significant living right here, right now, with the people and places God has put in my path.  How might I become the person God created me to be?
Today, I will seek that song that is still inside, beyond the desperation and exasperation.  I will run in the sun, read in the sun, spend time with God and my loved ones.  I will find my identity in breath and in song, repentance and release.

8 comments:

  1. "In the culture of character, the ideal self was serious, disciplined, and honorable. What counted was not so much the impression one made in public as how one behaved in private."

    I am happy to see this discussed. What a great post for today.

    Based on my experience and in the context of our common Christian faith, culture, and the totality of its history, every Christian at some point will either deny, come to terms with, dismiss, or utilize the cult of personality by which our society is manipulated.

    Personally... I'm at peace with this. While I contend that the cult of personality is a blight on humanity, oppressesing those above and below and drains the life force from us all for shallow ends; I choose not to fight it.

    I don't wish to write a thesis here, but I say, make peace with the superficial, take it for what it is, keep your inner grace and character and view the 'cult of personality' as a tool to be used for the kingdom. The irony of this game is that in order to operact in a personality driven society one must still be as disciplined as they would be within a character driven society. The only difference is that the rewards and recognition are few if any for the latter as opposed to the former.

    Yet, the old character driven ways can still be relevent and can still yeild fruit; even if the clever subtleties are lost on the audience initially.

    But I tell you this as a matter of fact. If you take the trajectory of character as opposed to people pleasing and superfiicality; if you can be firm and have the courage to stand alone; if you draw a line in the sand and hold it; you will overcome and have the victory... but be warned. It can get ugly, so what?

    This brings to mind a quote:

    'You never question the solutions. If you really question the solutions you will have to question the ones who have offered you those solutions. But sentimentality stands in the way of your rejecting not only the solutions, but those who have offered you the solutions.

    Questioning that requires a tremendous courage on your part. You can have the courage to climb the mountain, swim the lakes, go on a raft to the other side of the Atlantic or Pacific. Th at any fool can do, but the courage to be on your own, to stand on your two solid feet, is something which cannot be given by somebody.

    You cannot free yourself of that burden by trying to develop that courage. If you are freed from the entire burden of the entire past of mankind, then what is left there is the courage.' - UG Krishnamurti

    Not a Christian author I know, yet its ethic is sound nonetheless. Personally, it gives me a deeper appreciatiion of Christ's example. Ultimately, he stood alone.

    Personality vs. character... why not have both. Rewards in this world are only a means to an end, and it will end. Place treasure up in heaven. Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also; and if your heart doesn't condemn you be bold!! Why be at odds with society? We have the ability to have an edge, may we have the courage to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wheels have probably come off the track, but "Why be at odds with society?" As Christians, aren't we supposed to be "in the world, but not of the world"???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why be at odds with society? Why not have both? I don't think it is truly possible to have both. I think that we need to make a choice. If we do not embrace the "culture of character" by default we have embraced the "culture [or cult] of personality". I think that is what is meant by being "in the world, but not of the world."

      Delete
    2. Why be at odds? It's a rhetorical question in my mind. Why? Hey, as long as we're not living in a prison camp or in Gamorrah, live and let live.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you that we don't necessarily need to challenge others. Live and let live. On the other hand, perhaps we should challenge others to live a life of character. Perhaps that can be done by example, by living in, but not of the world.

      Delete
    4. I agree. The only challenge I usually run into come from dealing with corrupt elements within institutions where I refuse to comply. Yet this can be dealt with.

      Delete
  3. Do I pursue survival, success, or significance? I think at different times in my life I have pursued each of these. Even today, this day, my goal has been both to survive and to find significance in my life. I have sought and achieved success by worldly standards, and sometimes I have done things I believe to be significant in God's eyes. But much of the time I still struggle to survive, to get through the day.

    What meaning does my life, or anyone's life have? I believe that life has meaning when we are able to love others and to care for them even when they may not seem worthy of our love or care. Life lived in an honest relationship to others and to God is meaningful.

    I don't believe that I have been called to a particular vocation in this life. Rather I believe that I have been called to be a particular kind of person, a person of character, a person who loves others, a person who would rather give than receive. Have I succeeded? I hope the answer is more yes than no. I know there have been times when I have been a total failure in living this life. Other times, I think I have succeeded, at least to some degree. It isn't easy. Ultimately, I strive for a balance that falls more on the side of good, of love, of faith.

    Does my life have meaning? Am I living a life that is significant? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I pursue survival? Of course I do, every day. I mean, in all simplicity, that is the reason I use the prescriptions my doctor writes out for me, so that I can live and be here for that particular person who needs me. If I were not here, maybe God would send someone else, and maybe that someone else would not heed the call, someone else who did not feel they are their brother's keeper. --I heard that denial a few days ago. And so I pursue survival, at least for the time being.

      Delete