Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Whom are you looking for?

We are reminded that Jesus asks this question when Judas has betrayed him and then arrived with the soldiers.  Jesus already knew well who they were looking for.  This scene reminded me of the famous Shakesperean quote:  "Et tu, Brute?"  Funny how if we shine a spotlight on the situation, Jesus was not as much concerned with the impending arrest, but more with the betrayal by a friend.  He was concerned enough to have the moment of confrontation, gentle and fleeting as it was. I think Jesus' question to Judas probably made Judas think; it was an instant piercing realization that Judas had sold out a friend, his "Lord" for 30 pieces of silver.  We love to criminalize Judas and yet we have all played the part.
Whom am I looking for?  Rather, what am I looking for.  I can hear Bono's chorus to his famous gospel tune, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."  It is easier to seek a what than a whom.  I can seek approval, popularity, acceptance, conformity, wealth, success, etc.  The world is geared for the onward chase of things.  But, what does it mean for me to seek a Whom?  My Beloved?  The Divine?
In the past, in my youth, I looked for mentors, people I could admire and maybe emulate.  Young people are geared toward having idols: rock stars, sports figures, etc.  I don't think we realize how we idolize others until we are older.  In youth we easily look past any one person's failures, their less than qualities.  But, as we get older, we can see them more clearly just as we can see our own wrinkles sprouting on our spiritual and physical complexions.
 
People can disappoint and delight us.  People are a mixed bag of saint and sinner at any given moment.  There is no one really able to sit atop a pedestal and remain there for long especially in the religious sphere.
If one is to find God in the religious sphere, then the looking can take place amidst some confusion.  Is God there only?  Certainly not.  Can it be hard to find God there?  Absolutely.  Is it worth the sorting, the daily commitment to community, the surrender to growth on a less than horizontal horizon? A question only you can answer.  Will it be easy?  No.  Can it be done?  Yes.
In high school we were introduced to John Keats.  I'll never forget his Ode on a Grecian Urn.  While I was not mature enough to digest all of the nuances of abstract thought and poetry, one impression did stick.  We are all captivated by the chase, the chase of someone or something.  What or who that is depends on each of us.  But, the rub seems to be this:  we are happiest while in the chase, never acquiring, only catching glimpses of our Beloved.  When and if we do acquire and possess, we quickly grow bored and faint of heart.  Therefore, can I consent to the presence of the absence of my Beloved?  Can I surrender to this chase and find bliss?  Do I have the perseverance and clarity of mind to run a good race?  I think Keats knew humankind quite well:

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard 
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on; 
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endeared,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave
Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare;
Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal — yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
Forever wilt thou love, and she be fair!



3 comments:

  1. Be careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

    and...

    The first cut is the deepest...

    and

    It may be good to read of Eros and Psyche...

    I think some of this falls under the general heading of, 'my kingdom is not of this world.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's meditation brings me back full circle to day one. What am I looking for? Whom do I seek? Are they really different questions or are they the same? I look for meaning in my life; I seek connection to God. Are they not the same things? How can I find God? Is God to be found by attending worship services, listening to the sermon, pondering the word, receiving the bread and wine? Or is God to be found by loving and caring for others and receiving love and care in return? Or is God to be found in nature, amidst the beauty and wonder of creation? I seek God in all these places. Perhaps, as in "Ode on a Grecian Urn," it is in the seeking rather than in the finding that the prize is won. Perhaps the prize is not to be won in this life. Is this enough for me? Can I be satisfied by brief glimpses in the distance? O God, I am searching for more than a brief glimpse. I crave knowledge of your presence in my life. I reach out to touch the hem of your garment. Grant me, I pray, a view of your face, the touch of your hand, the feel of your arms surrounding me. Grant me grace. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's face it. Our good Lord and savior was a pretty hip fellow. He was like a mix between James Dean, Marlon Brando, and Steve McQueen all rolled into one. A rebel without a cause? My reading of the scriptures leads me to believe that no one really knew what he was talking about. Whom do you seek? It the context of the betrayal, the timing of Jesus' saying that was about as cool as Miles Davis. Then when they got him in the Sanhedrin he didn't have much to say. Jesus was a winebibber who could hold his own liquor that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete