Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How will you Believe what I say?

I can imagine Jesus was quite exasperated when he asked this question.  What will it take for us to "just believe?"  We place a good amount of faith in our own intellect, in cause and effect, in action and consequences.  It is often hard to "just believe" when mystery remains elusive, beyond grasp, and does not conform to expectations.
How often do we cling to what we know, cling to Law, when the Gospel awaits us?  Do we prefer Moses with a set of clearly chiseled laws or the lavish grace of a God who meets us on our way?  I have always like the Emmaus story.  Am I so wrapped up in getting to my destination, or wallowing in my disappointment that I fail to see God in my midst?  Can I only see God in the rear view mirror but never in the present?  What veil is this that clouds my eyes?
Where do we recognize or catch glimpses of the divine?  Or, do we prefer to walk around dazed and half asleep?  What will it take to awaken to belief?  Will it be a sudden dawning or a gradual realization that seeps in while walking the walk?
Joy comes in the morning and in the journey.  We cannot remain static.  As a good friend pointed out, transformation happens whether we like it or not.  We do not remain the same.  We have a choice about what kind of transformation takes place and who we journey with.  While our devotion suggests that we have a clear vision and purpose in our life, there is something in me that resists absolute clarity/control.  God surprises us, shapes us, moves us and the vision is not always clear.  Linked to belief is the need for trust.  Do I trust God enough to believe what has been said/promised?
I suppose clarity of vision and purpose comes in action: talking, walking, sharing and knowing.  Hence the need for community; my faith is not a privatized, secret life of devotion and law keeping.  Where two or three are gathered in God's name...we have communion, companionship, tiny shards of clarity.  Will I let go, wipe the pollen from my eyes and see, taste, touch, and hear that God is good?

No comments:

Post a Comment