Monday, March 18, 2013

Who is Greater? The One at the Table, or the One who Serves?

Nothing makes a group of Lutherans more uncomfortable than talk about evangelizing, serving, or having their feet washed!  We somehow shy away from this notion that we are to be actively engaged with one another: helping, uplifting, sorting through the chaos of life, really serving one another.  As a pastor, I find many who have an active resistance to their leader being engaged in servile activities--no yard work, no dirty/messy jobs, nothing that will break a sweat.  
Yet, Jesus shows us the opposite of the far removed, neatly groomed church person.  He talks with sinners, eats with tax collectors, talks to women, has his feet washed, washes others' feet, touches the sick, gets into the nitty gritty of this life in every way imaginable.  Yes, who among us does not love to go out to eat and to be served?  But, Jesus tells us the truly important people in life are the ones doing the service, not the ones paying for it.  This is wholly contrary to our culture.
I am sure that "serving the Lord" means different things to different people.  For me, being able to give, freely, with the welfare of the other person in mind is key.  For example, my sister and I often joke when we give a gift, especially a spontaneous one that is not tied to a birthday or special occasion: "oh, you shouldn't have done that," she will say.  And I always respond, "I do what I want to do."  Real service flows from love and from being able to give to another without counting the measure.  I am always saddened when folks in church get mad, or family members get angry with one another, and say something like "and after all I have done for you/this church!"  Service is not about keeping score.  You give, let go, and forget.  This is hard to do in a culture that measures everything, even relationships, in terms of power.
There comes a freedom and graceful satisfaction in giving and letting go, in being able to do for another and enjoy the inner fruits of that satisfaction.  I believe the more we do this the more we groom ourselves as followers of Jesus: this is the primary action of those walking the Way.
Yes, people often fail to show gratitude, they disappoint us, or even ignore us.  But, if I am rooted in doing what God commands and not glued to the rear view mirror then I am free from the expectations I might place on others.  Real gift, real service is not tied to that.  Ever.  
How might we better find this inner stewardship as we march to Easter?  How might I better root myself in the freedom of serving?  I pray to forget the cost of discipleship as it is measured by this world and our churches.  I pray to know the cost of discipleship in God's unfolding kingdom, an energy and wisdom which propels us into this sacred moment and the ones to come.

2 comments:

  1. It is easiest for me to understand and answer these questions if I relate them to a specific example - a specific time when I have served or have given a gift, a specific time when I have been served or have received a gift. Like most people, I enjoy receiving a gift, whether it is a material gift or a gift of someone's time and attention or service. But it is much more exciting for me to give a gift, especially an unexpected gift, to someone else. It's great if they are surprised and appreciative, but even without that, there is an inner joy that results from giving to someone else. So my answer would have to be that the one who serves, freely and joyfully, with no expectation of reward, is greater than the one who is served.

    Why, then, is it sometimes so difficult to serve others? Why is serving others not my first priority? It comes back, in part, to yesterday's question. Who is my neighbor? Who should I serve? My friends and family who will appreciate my efforts? That's easy. The stranger I encounter on the street? That is much more difficult. Living with the attitude that I should first serve others, all others, anyone who is in need, is not easy.

    God, help me to focus on the needs of others and to serve joyfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is there to do other than service? I can't think of anything more rewarding. I like to see people look awkward when something is done for them.

    ReplyDelete