Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What is the Kingdom of God like?

This question almost always spurns me toward a future oriented glance and answer.  But, I don't think that is the proper orientation.  What is it about our faith life that always has us focusing on "tomorrow" rather than today?  Why do we so easily put our eggs in a heavenly reward while ignoring the opportunities of today, right now?
In counter-intuitive fashion, the answer to this question is the Kingdom of God is like a mustard seed and baking yeast.  Both start small and are part of transforming ordinary elements into a great yield.  We are meant then to look at our own lives: are we willing to be faithful in the small things so that greater yields may come from our actions?
Martin Luther used the image of two Kingdoms for God's reign:  the earthly kingdom of governmental authorities and the heavenly kingdom where the faithful become part of transforming the world.  Most of us no longer face a backlash against practicing our faith while being dutiful citizens of this world.  But, it does the leave me wondering which world I am most comfortably nestled in:  civic affairs and politics or the unfolding of God's kingdom in grace?
When I asked my husband what he thinks of when he hears the phrase "Kingdom of God" he said "heaven." Yet, in scripture I hear Jesus saying time and again: the Kingdom is with you, now.  Is the Kingdom of God different then the Kingdom of Heaven?  Scripture scholars have made loose distinctions between a millennial kingdom (a future oriented reality) and a universal kingdom (present reality) but the terms seem to be used equally, interchangeably by Mark and Luke.  Matthew is the only writer to use the term "kingdom of heaven." (Kingdom of God occurs 68 times in many New Testament books while Kingdom of Heaven only occurs in Matthew, 32 times).
So, if the Kingdom of God is like a mustard seed, yeast, even justice, then what are we to do with these images?  What do they imply for our lives today?  I like Ghandi's transforming thought for today from our devotional:
If I am actively engaged in being a part of God's Kingdom, then my actions will convey the change I wish to see in the world.  Instead of a far away ethereal heaven, I now have a charge, a sacred duty, an honored mission to seek in my corner of the world.  I think this is a radical change for the way Christianity has traditionally groomed its adherents.  Instead of leaning toward a promising future (which will be as God wills it to be in perfection), then why not focus on today, focus on serenity:  God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference!

It seems this Way of the Kingdom of God leads to a wholeness and a life of significance that we crave.  Beyond the fear of meaninglessness, the anxiety of our unsettled struggle within ourselves, we have been given the opportunity to be emptied, to be other-oriented, to be the freedom we seek.  Will we take part?  Will we opt for the familiar and abandon the challenge? Is it too much work? 

What must I do to be transformed for a life of significance?  What shape must my journey take today to yield Kingdom results?  Important questions not only for today, but for who we are, who we hope to be on Easter morning and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. In the past, I have always thought of the Kingdom of God as heaven, some vague place to which we might aspire in the afterlife. However, I much prefer thinking of God's Kingdom as being present on earth, now. I like the idea of being able to be a worker in the Kingdom now. It does add significance to what I do. Am I working to further the Kingdom or are my actions taking away from the Kingdom? Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most are obsessed with the future and circumstances beyond their control. I think it is a good idea to seek this 'kingdom' first. That being said, it does seem that this seeking would lead to a finding. I would make the observation that this finding is already in operation and is in the now. It is not that we change, but more that our idea of our self and our world changes, yes? We must focus on today.

    ReplyDelete