Friday, March 8, 2013

Which is easier: Declaring Forgiveness or Healing?

Our context for this question today comes from those who are disgruntled with Jesus.  Jesus has spoken with authority regarding forgiveness and healing and he has been accused of blasphemy as a result.  I wonder why we like to revel in bondage of any kind: whether it be sin, punishment, disease, or consequences?  The word that leaps to mind is control.  We enjoy any sense of mastery or control; it is so much easier to hold resentment, fear, and punishment than it is to release and let go, to grant freedom to another person.










I am often reminded that a primary charge for disciples "on The Way" is to be reconcilers: that is, we have been given the ministry of reconciliation.  Yet, how often in church do we do just the opposite?  We bind people with heavy burdens while we ourselves enjoy the lighter yoke.  We withhold forgiveness and block reconciliation with our resentment and anger.  We forgo the ministry of reconciliation for a dogmatic ministry aimed at stunting/controlling growth rather than cultivating both growth and freedom .

Our question today asks which one is easier?  I don't know that either of these paths is easy.  Forgiveness takes work and so does healing.  The two are inextricably intertwined.  We may want to separate them, but that is not really feasible.  I think Jesus is pointing the crowd towards this realization.  Neither option is easy; the story says "when He saw the faith of the men..." that is when Jesus stops and begins his address, and the forgiveness and healing follow.  
It obviously took quite a bit of boldness and effort to heave the sick man onto the roof and lower him inside.  When asked which character fits me best in this story, I have to confess that I would likely be standing in the back of the crowd, peeking over and watching.  Boldness does not come naturally to me.  I can get there, especially when convictions run high.  But I am not sure honestly I would have had it in this situation.
I don't want to just stand by with my life or be a crowd onlooker at all times.  I need forgiveness and healing of my reluctance, my fears, my want to observe and stick a toe in the water before jumping in.  Maybe I need to hit the restart button more often and grant myself forgiveness so that I may find the healing I need!

How might I glorify God if I am forgiven and healed?  The answer for me lies in being free, being balanced, being able to meet the challenges of discipleship with a level of calm and understanding.  This is vital to the ministry of reconciliation.  We say at funerals that "He comforts us in all of our sorrows so that we can comfort others in their sorrows with the consolation we ourselves have received from God."  I see this as a cornerstone of our call to wholeness and forgiveness.  Are we willing to be a part of the liberating reign of God's Kingdom?  Or do we prefer to stay stuck, heaping burdens on ourselves and others so that we can bemoan our existence and fate and revel in a false sense of control?  

I think the answer lies in this beautiful picture.

1 comment:

  1. In my mind, forgiveness is easier than healing. It's been my experience that forgiveness only requires me to turn the other cheek, move on and not seek justice. Time heals all wounds, and I would say that there is some truth to this. On the other hand justice, reparations, settling issues, exposing lies and distrust; peace must come through justice. Forgiveness is the low hanging fruit, but healing, peace, and justice; may be our calling to seek?

    Concerning petty disputes, I think that wisdom and discernment must come into play. Is this the hill worth dying on? Don't cast pearls before swine.

    ReplyDelete